Pages

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Model Reality!!!!

Over the years I have had people ask me questions about how I got started as a model, ask for advice and tips, etc... and I love sharing my story. I also want to share some reality, and how things aren't always so easy or Glamorous. One of my goals as a model has always been to be an inspiration to other girls, especially the younger ones :).

Here's a little Background on me and how my journey started.... I starting Modeling after I graduated High School (17 years old), and I wanted to be part of the fashion industry sooo bad! I really had no idea what I was getting myself into, had no clue where to start, but I knew that it was something that I was willing to work for and do what ever it took to make my dreams come true. I took classes at John Casablancas Modeling School (it was waaaayyyy tooo much money, and I wish I would have started a different way), I learned the basics of runway and took some acting classes as well. They Promise that you will be signed and be discovered RIGHT AWAY (Sooo not true, they are sale'n you a dream! and it honsetly doesn't happen over night! Some people do get Lucky!!). After I finished JC modeling school (I went to another training center, and signed up with a small casting company) I started to going to some castings, and in the beginning I really didn't book anything for a while, I was really green, super shy, and had not really broken out of my shell yet. I paid tons of money on photos (didn't know what TFP was at the time), and started to build a small portfolio. I kinda stopped modeling for a little bit and was a background extra for a little while in San Diego when I first started College (I was on Veronica Mars and other shows that shot locally). It was a lot of fun and paid well! I moved to Los Angeles, to Finish College and that is when I started to Model again and became more serious about it. I learned very quickly that being a Model is hard, and it was a lot more work then I thought, but it became more real to me that this was what I really wanted... I did my First Big Fashion show for Ed Hardy, filmed a commercial for Concord College, and worked on a lot of other projects while I lived in LA. I learned that Networking is important and every person that you meet can be valuable in some way. I moved back to San Diego after College (now I travel back and forth to LA), I joined a model and photography group and started to really build my portfolio and learn about posing. I did small fashion shows here and there and started to build my network here in San Diego....

Now I have been a model for almost 10 years, I have done everything on my own (Hundreds of fashion shows, a couple of print ads, photo shoots), I haven't had a manager or anyone really to go to for help. I for the most part have done all of my own research and just have put myself out there and Network like crazy (Who you know often times will take you far), By meeting people a long the way I have been able to book projects, TV Segments, fashion shows, ect... pretty much every week. I am still learning and would one day love to be signed.

Some things to think about when you first start, is do you want this to be a career or a Hobby? Most models in the beginning have no clue how much work goes into being a model (long hours, lots of driving, lots of waiting...). It is really a full time job, with little to no pay (especially in the beginning... actually for years even). I personally have not made much money really as a model (I work 2 jobs, plus being a Model), finding paid jobs have been hard for me, but it is very possible to get paid, but the reality is that not everything is going to be paid!! Modeling as a hobby, models often I feel forget that these are other people's jobs (Photographers, designers, stylist, etc..) and that you should always be professional! Time is money and wasting time and not showing up or being late, and not communicating will get you Black listed quickly (people talk to other people, remember that). Even if this is a "hobby" for you, it is not a hobby for everyone else who is part of the production of what ever project, shoot, or what ever you are booked for. It is a privilege and not a right to be able to work on set. They can always book someone else!!!! No one likes a Flakey model! Don't let that be YOU! Communicate, be honest or just don't book yourself!! Don't beg to do a project and NOT SHOW up!!!

Being a model is not always Glamorous!!!! Trust me when I say this... you will not always like your hair and makeup! you will not always like what you are wearing! Every Fashion show is not like Victoria Secret and every photo shoot is not like the Cover of Vogue! There have been shows and shoots That I have done where there were NO Hair or Makeup artists (it happens, not often... but it does). Lessons I have learned are ALWAYS be prepared for any situation or circumstance. I always bring my make up bag with me, I know how to do hair and I always bring Snacks and Water (Food and water are not always provided). It is better to be over prepared or you better have someone on Speed Dial that can bring you things! You have to be confident no matter what, throw all your worries out the window and Bring IT!! ( to What ever project you are working on)

Do not be a DIVA!!!! I have seen way to many models with attitudes, and that is NOT ok! People would rather work with a cooperative model, someone that is easy to work with and get along with on set or during a show, and not a cry baby, complainer or a girl that always has something to say that is negative. Keep your comments to your self!! I always tell people "I don't ask questions, I just do what I am told". There have been many times where I have been upset about the way how things have been on set, but I choose not to say anything about it stay positive have and a good attitude no matter what :).

There is a lot of Hurry up and WAIT!! You have to wait at Castings, you have to wait for hair and makeup at shows and photo shoots, and days are long!!! So, just be patient and Wait. Have fun, talk to other models, make friends :) You never know who you will run in to!!

Be a GOOD listener and willing to LEARN!! Remember that you don't know everything thing and there are certain ways that (designers, production, photog, etc...) like to do things, so pay attention don't talk and ask questions later.

There will be Disappointments!!!! You will not book every casting, you will not make every show. Designers are often very picky and want certain looks. You will not always fit the description of what a casting is looking for. Don't beat your self up about it, it happens. It sucks, I still get sad a lot of times when I am not able to make it in to a show or a shoot and my friends are in it, it happens and you have to move on. Remember that there will be other opportunities that will come up. I am not 5'10, I don't have long hair, and I don't always have the look that people are looking for, and often time I don't know what people are looking for (often it is not specific). As much as people see me around, I do not book everything that I go out to castings for. I move on to the next thing and make things happen on my own.

Practice makes Perfect!!!! Practice, practice, practice, practice. Watch videos, pose in front of the mirror, have people critique you. it will only make you better!! It's always good to know what you should work on, and then fix it and make it better :)

Networking Will get you everywhere!!!! Be nice and friendly to people, Meet other people in the industry at events, you never know if there are people out in the audience looking for models for their shows, photo shoots, or other projects. Get yourself out there and get noticed and let people know that you want to work! I am Freelance, so I have made my own Business Cards, Comp Cards and I have a Website as well. I use social media as a big networking platform and I started blogging to stand out and be different. Don't be afraid to stand out and try something new. I have found that the more people I know, the more projects I am able to be involved in and my career just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

In this post I wanted to share a little bit about what model life is really like (if I shared everything it would be a Book). I want to encourage others to follow their dreams, but remember.... it takes Work, nothing happens over Night!!!

I love what I do and I want to continue to grow and keep learning, I only hope that others will do the same :)

@Supa_starT

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you :). I have thought long and hard about this post, and felt like it was something I had to share.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for pouring your heart out and sharing the passion and struggles of your passion, it's not easy to do that but it was inspiring!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for reading! :) I am glad that I can be an inspiration and be able to share my story!!

      Delete
    4. Hi Tiff, I never knew how much work you put in to modeling! I admire your determination and hard work, & sacrifices you've made to pursue your dream. More doors will open for you! Keep up the good work! Your positive attitude will take you far! Love ya much your Auntie!

      Delete
    5. Thank you Aunt Sharon. yes it is a lot more work than people know, but I love this industry and I know that it will all pay off soon :). Love you too!!

      Delete